Little fingers Montessori Nursery is supporting the Lullaby Trust in their campaign for promotion of safe sleep practices for babies.
We’re sharing some tips for parents to keep in mind when putting their little ones to bed:
1. Always place your baby on their back to sleep – not on their front or side.
2. Place your baby to sleep in a separate cot or Moses basket in the same room as you for the first 6 months.
3. Use a firm, flat, waterproof mattress in good condition.
4. Never sleep on a sofa or in an armchair with your baby.
5. Avoid letting your baby getting too hot.
6. Don’t cover your baby’s face or head whilst sleeping or use loose bedding.
7. Remove all pillow, cot bumpers or soft toys from the cot.
8. When sharing a bed or co-sleeping with baby, avoid letting pets or other children in the bed. And it’s best not to share a bed if you or your partner have drunk alcohol or taken medication that makes you drowsy.
We understand that it is hard to do everything by the book when you’re a tired parent and your baby is not going to sleep easily. Our best recommendation is cuddles, it’s usually a cure-all. For some babies gentle and steady movement is reassuring, like rocking in your arms or the pram, or even a slow car ride. White noise or gentle melodies can lull them to sleep. Sound Machines for these are easily available or you can find them on YouTube or even some apps.
The Lullaby Trust also has some useful videos about related topics: recommended bedding, sleep in summer, when baby starts rolling, and much more.